Monday, August 31, 2009

Russia Update 1

I finally have a Yota that works! (a device you plug into the usb port of your computer to gain internet access here) Believe me, this is no easy feat in Russia, but well worth the ability to skype and blog again. Especially when it is down right impossible for me to phone anywhere in Saskatchewan, I have tried a few phone cards and it just isn't happening. It must be that Russians don't communicate as often as I thought with farmers from the Saskatchewan prairie. School here started a week ago, and the classes are already intense. (at the moment I should be preparing my presentation on 18th century literary genres in Russia) Everyday I am overwhelmed with the information force fed to my prairie boy mentality, living in a city this size is incredible on every level. I can't even shop for groceries without having to read and speak in a different language about things I simply would not think about buying groceries at home. One thing that is particularly good about living here is that food comes cheap if you know what your doing. I got all my groceries today (milk, sausages, bananas, ketchup, and a snickers) for just 190 rubels!! (equal to 6 Cdn dollars)

Since being here I have seen tons of Soviet and Russian architecture, been to the Hermitage, Kazansky Cathedral, two Church services with English translators, visited a WWII memorial museum, walked through fake Disneyland, and made friends from all over the world. And this is all been in the last week and a half! Each day my studies are taking me deeper into Russian culture and understanding the development of modern Russian life, this rare opportunity is truly a blessing and I will do my best to make the most of these four months.

St. Petersberg is the most beautiful city I have ever visited. If your not walking around the city or through one of the many parks (all bigger then Wascana), then you are on the Metro. It is a strange way to travel, and you have to get used to certain customs while aboard (such as allowing the elderly and children to always take your seat without being asked). Even simple things like talking in public, one must be mindful of others because it is quite rude if people can hear you coming, you must talk directly to the person and keep it down as much as possible.

The International group (that is the 7 of us from North America) got invited to dinner at Dr. Negrov's, school president, flat on the weekend. If I was to choose I would say this night is the highlight thusfar. Aside from the food and desert and coffee (which is rare here, everyone drinks tea) we had a great night of conversation, games, a walk through the park to visit three Orthodox churches all built within 100 ft. of each other, played some football (that is soccer), and had a tour of the city center at night. The thing to do if you are in St. Petersberg is to go down to Nevskiy Prospect at midnight to watch the bridge go up. There are lights and people everywhere and it is something that everyone, tourists and locals, like to take part in. I hope to go a few more times because the expeirence cannot be captured by words.

I leave you with a picture of The Narva Triumphal Arch which was built to commemorate Russia's victory over Napoleon in 1812 (I live just down the street from it, literally 2 min. walk from my dorm room):

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like you guys are having a crazy time over there! It's cool to hear that you are already learning so much about Russian culture and history. (PS, I loved your grocery list. It was awesome.)

    Things are just starting to get busy here. There's been a lot of bustling surrounding leadership training and 'visioning' and all that good stuff. Today was Freshmen Registration, and we had a cool chapel service in the evening, and then hall meetings. Upperclassmen registration is on Friday, so I guess friends will start streaming in soon.

    We'll sure miss you guys this semester. Keep posting about your experiences, and we'll experience the trip vicariously with you.

    Do svidaniya!

    ReplyDelete