Saturday, September 5, 2009

It's Mickey Marvel!

On August 31st I read the worldview shattering news that Marvel had sold to Disney. Needless to say, it has been a very trying and heavy week since. I can't help myself from forseeing what terrible destruction this will inevitably bring into the Marvel universe, and more importantly the whole medium of 'comic book' in general. The argueably biggest name in comic-books, of which I have been a somewhat regular follower of the past three years, is now owned by the same name that brings us 'The Lion King'. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie, but the message and story-telling tactis are miles away from that of beloved Marvel characters like 'Deadpool' and 'The Punisher'. It seems to me that these characters will either have had comple make-overs, been pushed to a corner for short side stories, or forgotten all-together. Marvel's unique way to tell story while conveying important messages about politics, psychology, and life will become lost arts. All due to the large $4bn that Marvel sold for (a company of 300 employee's mind you). I predict to see 'Marvel vs. Disney' coming out on the Wii within two years time and a new saturday morning cartoon where 'Goof troop' is always hanging with the 'X-men' trying to look cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment