Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Justice, Stressful Art

This music video by electronic duo 'Justice' from France has been the cause of much controversy on the web being accused of such things as "underhanded racism" to an excuse to show "pointless violence". I suppose it is because the did too good a job in filming something so powerful to a vocal-less song. If it didn't feel as real as it does, too real indeed, it would not have received the thousands of articles and critiques that it has all over the web. Thus it is worth your time to watch this great piece of art:

Justice - Stress

2 comments:

  1. Brennon,
    I typed, and then it disappeared. Haha. Your blog is like a black hole. :)

    My thoughts re: this video: does something have to have a point in order for it to be meaningful? Does "pointless" necessarily mean "meaningless?" Is meaning wrapped up only in the final "point" of a person(s)'s actions?

    Hmm. I am but an onlooker in this wild world of philosophers. I hope my comments are somewhat useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that from this video there is much to be learned about ourselves. This is where I find 'meaningfulness', and not just for myself but as an understanding of our own generation. If it is just 'pointless', then the band did a great job of taking something with no deeper meanings and showing through a music video what we in fact are 'stressed/scared/ of in our world. And how silly that might look to someone from another world. But it is quite vivid, and we as viewers are meant to feel as if we have been there all along (we take on a first-person view and are even mistreated for being there). Knowing something about the band, I think they just wanted to do something that would make people pay attention, and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete