Monday, October 12, 2009

Russian Ballet

St.Petersburg is no stranger to the theatre. Ballets, operas, and plays are taking place every night in numerous locations. Recently I have attended a few ballets, and though I am new to the art, I very much enjoyed the dedication of the artists of, what I will call the two sides. By this I mean there is the one side, the orchestra and conductor, and the second side, the dancers, choreographers, tech crews, etc. Both have an immense amount of work put into any one show, not to mention a lifetime of practice and experience to make to the "big times". The orchestra is seemingly flawless in transitions between pieces, even when they are of different composers, and the dancers are always on their toes, quite literally, when a moment of improvisation is necessary. All of this hard work, from either side, comes together for one spectacular show of beauty and the arts. That being said, here is a few of my favorite scenes from some of the shows I've seen in the past week:


Swan Lake - Tchaikovsky


Firebird - Stravinsky


Sheherezade - Rimsky Korsakov


not that these videos do the real thing any justice, but hopefully you can get a sense of the unity between both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment